Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Workout Without the gym!

Going to the gym costs money. To buy a membership you usually have to spend around $50 a month. That is a pretty significant amount of money and personally, I don't want to pay it. Below I have listed suggestions for how to get buff without the bucks.

  • Turbo Jam: This is my personal favourite. For those of you who haven't heard of Turbo Jam, it is a workout dvd that incorperates dancing, boxing, cardio and many, many other thing. You are moving non-stop and burn up to 750 calories each time. You can purchase these dvds at stores like Walmart for only about $10. It lasts forever and you can do it anywhere in you home, residence or any other place you may live.
  • P90X: I'm sure you have all heard about this one. It is a 90 day workout that will get you in the best shape of your life. There are 8 CD's in total, each with a different workout for specific muscles on your body. The only downfall is that it is extremely hard so in turn, it makes it hard to stick with. If you are not committed to working out, then these workouts would not be good to start out on.
  • Women's Health: A couple of days ago I bought a Women's Health guide to working out. It is FULL of workouts you can do at home, at the gym, at the pool, anywhere! It also includes heathly meal plans and tips on how to keep motivated. It is one of the most helpful magazines I have bought in a long time and I use it everyday!
  • Go for a Run...OUTSIDE: After going to the gym for a certain period of time you tend to forget or get away from the idea of running outside. I know how crappy running is, trust me I've always have a hard time trying to motivate myself to actually do it, HOWEVER when you do it is sooooo rewarding. It is the cheapest, easiest exercise you can do and we all hate it because it's hard and actually works! Going for a run outside takes virtually no preparation and about 20 mins out of your day. Really what more could you ask for. If you can motivate yourself to do it, then it will become routine, then habbit, then easy.
  • Pilates/Yoga: These ones are great for an at home workout. All you really need is a yoga matt. If you don't have one a good subsitute would be either a towel or a blanket. It is mainly there to cushion your butt and back during floor exercises, so any type of padding will do.

If all else fails and you don't want to do any of the exercises above, all you have to do is GO FOR A WALK. It is such a great way to get at least a little bit of exercise if your not willing to be all hot and sweaty. It gets you blood flowing, your heart rate up, and all of that other good stuff. Plus, when you go for a walk you may run into a friend, find a cool place you've never been, or just plain clear your head of all unwanted stresses. 

"I never regret it when I do it, but I'll always regret it if I dont"
-(not sure who its by, but they are exactly right) 

No comments:

Post a Comment